top of page

"It's Tax Time!"

Tax season is here again! There is a new tax law and changes to the tax code this year. Do you need help filing your taxes this year? Are you aware of the changes and new benefits you might be able to avail? Did you know that someone can help you?

AARP provides assistance to Seniors for FREE! They have volunteers that help the elderly population with their tax filing. These volunteers are well trained and annually updated especially with the latest Tax Code. They train volunteers to help you go through your documents and do the computation for you. They are IRS-certified volunteers. This way you can avail of and maximize your benefits and deductions from your filing.

Locations are well distributed, AARP tax aide sites are usually set-up for each city. Some are found in the local Senior Center, your city hall or if there is an AARP office in your city. To find an AARP Tax Aide site near you, click HERE. Find the one nearest to you, contact them and make an appointment, as sometimes there is a long wait. Some centers are open for walk-ins but it means you have to be aware of the long wait.

You need to get your documents ready for filing ahead of time. Most of the time if you have everything you need, you would only need to make an appointment and you'll be able to file right away. To make sure you have everything you need, we have provided you with the list of documents here:


AARP Foundation Tax-Aide: Important Documents to Bring to the Tax-Aide Site

AARP Foundation, Updated January 2019

The checklist below includes items you need to bring when you visit an AARP Foundation Tax-Aide site for us to help you prepare your tax return(s)

  • Previous year’s tax return(s).

  • Social Security cards and/or ITIN notices/cards or other official documentation that show the taxpayer identification numbers for every individual on your return.

  • Government-issued photo ID for each taxpayer.

  • Checking or savings account information if you want to direct deposit any refund(s) or direct debit any amounts due.

  • Identity Protection PIN (IP PIN) (for each individual if applicable).

  • W-2 for each employer.

  • 1099-G form for unemployment compensation or state/local income tax refunds.

  • SSA-1099 form showing the total Social

  • Security benefits paid to you for the year, or RRB-1099, Tier 1 Railroad Retirement benefits form.

  • 1099 forms (or other statements) reporting

  • interest (1099-INT), dividends (1099-DIV) and/or proceeds from sales (1099-B), plus documentation showing the original purchase prices if you sold stocks or other assets.

  • 1099-R form if you received a pension, annuity, or IRA distribution.

  • 1099-MISC, 1099-K, or other 1099 forms. If you have a business, bring a summary list of all your income (cash and non-cash) and all business-related expenses.

  • Information about any other income of any form including cash or other than cash.

  • Records of any federal and/or state and/or local income tax paid (including quarterly estimated tax payments) if not shown on income documents.

  • Deductions

  • Most taxpayers have a choice of taking either a standard deduction or itemizing their deductions.

  • If you have a substantial amount of deductions, you may want to itemize. If so, bring the following information:

  • 1098 form showing home mortgage interest.

  • A summary list of medical/dental/vision expenses including doctor and hospital bills and medical insurance premiums, prescription medicines, assisted living services, long-term insurance and bills for medical related home improvements such as ramps and railings for people with disabilities.

  • Summary of cash and non-cash contributions to charity.

  • Property tax bills paid during the year (frequently shown on mortgage statement)..

Health Insurance
  • 1095-A forms if you purchased insurance through the Marketplace (Exchange).

  • 1095-B/1095-C forms (optional).

  • Any exemption correspondence from the Marketplace (if applicable).

  • Dependent care provider information – name, address, telephone number and employer ID or Social Security number and amount paid to provider.

  • 1098-T form for education expenses plus statement of account from the educational institution showing tuition and fees actually paid and scholarships, grants, etc. received. Also bring a summary of any other education expenses.

  • 1098-E form for student loan interest.


So get get into the groove and start your Tax Filing early. As the saying goes, "The early bird catches the early worm" so let's get ready early!

Find the nearest AARP Tax-Aide site, click HERE.

Call and make an apppointment.

Get all your documents ready (as the list above).

VIOLA! Tax-filed early and get your refund early!

38 views0 comments
bottom of page